What Should You Be Using In Your Skin Care Routine?
Take my quiz and get personalized recommendations from a
Its Time: Warm Weather Skincare Tips
Okay, so I know Spring has just sprung. But here in Southern California we have been experience 70-80 degree weather for the last 2+ weeks! I have been getting a huge influx of inquiries for warm-weather skincare tips, to help with the unseasonably warm weather. Today, I want to share some of my favorite warm weather
Hello Warm Weather Wonderful
- Consider Your Cleanser - This is incredibly important! Especially if you have oily/combo skin types. I generally recommend creamier cleansers for the colder Fall/Winter months, but once the warmer weather of Spring/Summer roles around, its time to consider a gel-based cleanser. These "deep cleansers" are very beneficial in keeping the pores from getting clogged. I love Epicuren's Herbal Cleanser for dry/combo skin and their Gelle Cleanser for oily skin types!
- Experience Exfoliation Often - I recommend this year round, but I especially like it in the Spring/Summer for one reason: self-tanners. Exfoliating away dead skin cells not only helps to promote cellular turnover, it also helps to create an even, long-lasting glow with sunless tanning products. Whether you are getting a professional spray-down or are simply enjoyed your favorite self-tanner at home, exfoliating will definitely be beneficial. It also helps your skin to better absorb the beneficial ingredients in your moisturizers/serums. Yes, I do recommend exfoliating both your body and face
- Let Your Skin Breathe - I think one of the most frustrating things about warmer weather is what it does to our makeup
. Foundation seems to melt away in this heat, which is why I like to recommend lightening the makeup load. If you are partial to full-coverage foundation, dabble in tinted moisturizers . I am a huge fan of Suntegrity's 5-in-1 Tinted Facial Sunblock SPF 30. But, of course, there are so many fabulous options. If you still feel you need a little more coverage, or to "set" your product, try loose mineral foundations such as La Bella Donna's Minerals On The Go or Colorscience's Sunforgettable Mineral Powder Brush SPF 30.
- Lighten Up Your Moisturizing - Heavy moisturizers are fabulous for hydrating your skin. But in warmer weather, they can contribute to shiny, oily skin. I would recommend saving the heavy stuff for your PM routine, cleanse in the AM, then go with something lighter for daytime use. Of course, all skin is different, so if you benefit from the richer formulas, stick to it!
- Cool it Down in the Shower - Hot showers feel great, but they are not very good for your skin. In fact, the hotter the water, the more it will dry out your skin. When the weather is warm, you may even find it refreshing to turn the temperature down a notch. Always be sure to moisturize your body once you are out of the shower. This is the best opportunity to lock in moisture!
- Slather on the Sunscreen - Again, this is something I urge year round. The best way to fight aging is to keep your skin protected from the sun. Always, always, always protect your skin from the sun. Be it your face or your body, you are going to want to indulge in sunscreen. If you have never been an avid-user, now is the perfect time to start. I offer a variety of different sunscreens to suit my customers' needs.
- Sunglasses - If you have been waiting for an opportunity to purchase that new pair of polarized sunnies, now is the perfect time! Sunglasses help to protect both your eyes and the shaded skin around your eyes from the suns UV rays. Try looking for glasses that protect from both UVA and UVB rays. These also help to prevent squinting, which is a known culprit for crows feet.
- Consider Your Current Products - Certain ingredients cause photosensitivity. For instance, Retinol or Glycolic Acid based products. This means your skin will be more sensitive to the sun, and it needs extra protection. Be sure to apply sunscreen at least 30 minutes prior to sun exposure, and reapply every two hours. Colorscience's Sunforttable Mineral Powder Brush SPF 30 is my favorite way to reapply SPF throughout the day, since it is so convenient to carry around and use!
- Stay Hydrated - Warmer weather means faster dehydration. And dehydration isn't just bad for your internal health, it shows on your skin as well! Be sure to get you 8 glasses in each day, or more!