What Should You Be Using In Your Skin Care Routine?
Take my quiz and get personalized recommendations from a
May is Skin Cancer Awareness Month: Honor Your Skin
May is finally here! And even though I am always pushing sun protection and skin cancer awareness, today I want to focus on it yet again for my Beauty Mates. There are SO many reasons to use sun protection, ranging from simple burns to skin cancer and melanoma. If you haven't been the best at applying your SPF, it is never too late to start, which is why I want to share some of my favorite sunscreen tips & products with you! Are you ready for it?
Skin Cancer Awareness: Tips & Tricks
- UVA & UVB - when selecting a sunscreen it is important to choose one with both UVA & UVB protection. UVA rays increase your risk of skin cancer, and UVB rays are the ones which cause sunburns and skin damage
. Protecting from both of these will help you maintain your beautiful skin longer, and keep your chances of getting skin cancer down. I like to recommend products with zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, as these products form a physical block to protect against UVA & UVB rays.
- SPF 30+ - I always recommend selecting an SPF30 or higher when it comes to skin protection. That being said, SPF higher than 30 does not necessarily mean you can stay in the sun longer after applying your product! SPF 30 products absorb 97% of the sun's burning rays, while SPF 50 absorbs slightly over 98% - not much of a difference, is it? So, if you choose to go with SPF 50, reapply it just as often as you would your SPF 30.
- Start Your Day with SPF - generally SPF takes 30-45 minutes to absorb into your skin and go into effect, so I always recommend incorporating it into your AM routine. For males, I recommend applying to first thing after washing your face - before enjoying your breakfast or other AM routines. For ladies, SPF protection can be used with your moisturizing or in place of it
. There is also a plethora of makeup products that contain SPF. I love layering my tinted moisturizer with Colorescience's Sunforgettable Mineral Powder Brush SPF 50, and taking my Sunforgettable brush with me for reapplication throughout the day. Try to reapply once every 2 hours, or immediately after swimming or exercising.
- Take Cover - just because you are wearing sunscreen does not mean you should subject yourself to all-day sun exposure. Seek cover when you can, but it under an umbrella or awning, or by covering up with a hate or lightweight long sleeve shirt
. Sunglasses are fabulous for protection both your eyes and the delicate skin around them.
Sun Care Product Picks
Something I absolutely love about this day-in-age is the endless supply of fabulous & effective SPF-infused products. Here are many of my absolute favorites, ranging from your basic sunscreen to more cutting-edge products.
- Sunscreen Products & Brands: COOLA, Jan Marini Broad Spectrum Physical Protectant, June Jacobs Protective Moisturizer SPF 30, Image Skincare Prevention+, Epicuren Sunscreen, Eminence Organics Tropical Vanilla Sun Cream SPF 32, & more!
- Makeup/Brush on SPF: Eminence Organics Sun Defense Minerals, Alex Cosmetic Herbal BB Cream, La Bella Donna Loose Mineral Foundation, Colorescience Sunforgettable products, & more!
- Lip SPF: Kinerase Ultimate Volume Lip Conditioner SPF 20, Epicuren Anti-Aging Lip Balm SPF 15, COOLA Liplux SPF 30 Original Formula.
- Protecting From The Inside/Out: Osmosis UV Protection Harmonized Water.