What Should You Be Using In Your Skin Care Routine?
Take my quiz and get personalized recommendations from a
Glo Therapeutics Retinol Serums: Which One is Right for Me?
As with any type of skincare product, there is no "one-size-fits-all" retinol serum. Which is why I absolutely love that Glo Therapeutics offers three to choose from: the Tretinol 0.5%, Retinol CS, and the Renew Serum. Glo Therpeutics gave me the inside scoop on the differences between these three, and who they are best suited to, and I want to share that information with you! Please note that it is always best to speak with skin care professional to decide which products are best for you. My medical estheticians and I are always happy to assist you via phone, chat, or email during business hours, so don't be afraid to ask! Okay, are you ready Beauty Mates?
Glo Minerals Retinol Serums
Tretinol 0.5% - this is an anhydrous retinol and antioxidant serum. It works to smooth the skin and reduce wrinkles, while aiding in the reduction of hyperpigmentation. You can expect your skin to be more luminous with this product, which is a huge plus! I recommend this more to clients who have normal to dry skin. It is important to note that this product is very strong, so skin sloughing is normal even after 1-2 uses. This is best used as a prep for an exfoliating treatment or to rejuvenate sluggish skin.
- The Ingredients: the main ingredient in this product is all-trans-retinol, which efficiently converts to retinoic acid in the skin so more of it is absorbed. It is an anhydrous base, which means it remains very stable. There are also Vitamins C and E in this product, which is what contributes to the brightening and antioxidant properties.
- Feeling: people absolutely love the feel of this product, including myself. It applies like velvet and the skin responds immediately by feeling and looking smoother. This means there is less of a tendency to follow up with a moisturizer, giving the product full ability to penetrate your skin and do its job without being inhibited by other products.
- The Final Word: I recommend this product for all skin types except for oily and sensitive skin. It is important to note that this product is a good pretreatment for exfoliation, but should not be layered with other peels.
Retinol CS - this water-based gel serum has a pH of 2.3, which is the result of Glycolic Acid
- The Ingredients: 3% Retinol and 4% Glycolic Acid work synergistically. They penetrate in different ways, making exfoliation more thorough. Glycolic Acid is beneficial for most skin types with the exception of sensitive skin. This product is also formulated with brighteners, antioxidants, and anti-inflammatories that will penetrate deeper because of the Retinol and Glycolic acids.
- Feeling: this product is gold in color and has a gel-like consistency. It feels very light, making it comfortable for those who have acneic and oily skin. It is important to note that this product is not moisturizing, so if you would like to hydrate your skin, apply a moisturizer 30 minutes after using the Retinol CS.
- The Final Word: this is a great product for oily, acne-prone, and mature skin. It is a great way to prep your skin for exfoliation.
Renew Serum - finally we have another water-based gel serum that has a pH of 2.48. This product can be used by mature skin, but is best suited for those with oily or acneic skin because of it's antibacterial, antimicrobial, and oil-control properties. It stimulates mild exfoliation and cellular renewal to improve skin texture and tone.
- The Ingredients: this formula is made up of 1% Retinol, 7% Glycolic, and 1% Salicylic Acid. The Salicylic is well-known for its acne-treating benefits because of its ability to penetrate the follicle. This product exfoliates and kills the p.acnes bacteria. This product is also formulated with Totarol, which is an antibacterial, antioxidant, and antimicrobial.
- Feeling: this product is a non-oily, yellow/gold gel. It is not particularly hydrating, so if you feel the need to moisturize, allow 30 minutes to pass after using this product before you layer on a moisturizer.
- The Final Word: I really enjoy this product! It is best suited to combination, acneic, oily, and mature skin types. It can also be beneficial for those suffering from keratosis pilaris and ingrown hairs.