What Should You Be Using In Your Skin Care Routine?
Take my quiz and get personalized recommendations from a
Skincare Advice To Get You Through Your 50′s
Today I want to talk about skincare for your 50's. If you are approaching 50, don't worry, beautiful skin is still possible, and we will get to that! If you are in your 50's and struggling, I hope that some of my advice can help put you at ease and help get your skin back on track. Okay! So, why are the 50's such a difficult time for your skin? First, many women go through a menopause in their 50's, which can wreak havoc on the skin. Estrogen levels tend to drop, causing the skin to be more sensitive, and many of the fine lines, wrinkles, and discoloration you noticed in your 40's may become more pronounced. That being said, there are still many things you can do to help slow down the aging process during this time! It is absolutely possible to stay looking fabulous in your 50's, it just takes the right products and a dedication to your routine.
Skincare Advice: 50
1. Clean Gently - If you have not gotten into the habit of cleansing your face twice a day, now is the time to start. In fact, I recommend washing your face twice at night. That being said, it is very important that you choose a cleansing product that will not only deliver anti-aging benefits, but will also be gentle on your skin as well. I recommend products with Jojoba Oil, Shea Butter, and Hyaluronic Acid to get the job done. All three of these ingredients will help to moisturize the skin while keeping it nice and clean - essential for fighting the effects of aging.
2. Fight Collagen Loss - The hormonal fluctuations women experience in their 50's often cause collagen loss, which is an essential part of keeping your skin looking lifted, young, and strong. The loss of collagen can unfortunately result in saggier skin, loss of elasticity, and more pronounced wrinkles. It is important to invest in a good moisturizer that will help protect and improve your skin's elasticity. I love products containing Vitamin C.
3. Brighten Your Spirit - If you saw dark spots in your 40's and did not treat them with a targeted product, it is very likely that you will see even more hyper pigmentation in your 50's. That means you sun spots and age spots may start to get darker and more pronounced. Much like in your 40's, you are going to want to find a product containing Hydroquinone, Glycolic Acid, Retinol, Lactic Acid, Kojic Acid, or Vitamin C.
4. Don't Forget Your Neck - It is easy to concentrate you anti-aging effort on your face, but in your 50's it is ESPECIALLY important that you start to focus the same amount of energy on your neck and decollete. You neck produces less oil that the rest of your body, resulting in dehydrated skin, which can then result in an enhanced aging process. Trust me, you want to focus on this area before you wake up one day and realize you have wrinkles or discoloration in this area. If your face doesn't give you away, your neck and decollete will. Simply apply the products you use on your face to this delicate area to keep it up-to-speed and looking fresh.
5. Accept Your Age - You are 50 and fabulous, which means you can accept and hopefully even embrace your age. Try products that are targeted for your age-bracket. These are formulated to slow down aging, and are only there to help you look your very best!
I think every new age group is jarring at first. Whether you are 20 going on 30, 30 going on 40, 40 going on 50, or 50 going on 60, it can be a very scary thing. But I am here to tell you that there is no real reason to worry. We are all going to age eventually. All we can do is take care of our beautiful skin in an effort to slow the process down. Oh, and for those of you who are worried about stepping into your 50's, Dana Delany
Stay tuned for my Skincare Advice To Get You Through Your 60’s+ post!