What Should You Be Using In Your Skin Care Routine?
Take my quiz and get personalized recommendations from a
Skincare Advice To Get You Through Your 40′s
40 very well may be the new 30, but that is not to say we don't have to step up our skin care regimen once we enter this age group. It is well known that women experience significant hormonal changes in their 40's, which often have a huge impact on the skin. Common changes include: loss of collagen, loss of elastin, thinner and drier appearance, more fine lines and wrinkles, and overall more delicate skin. Many women also start to experience dark sports and skin tone issues during this age. But don't fret, as usual I have some fabulous skin-saving tips for you to get you through this age group. It is absolutely possible to preserve your beautiful skin and slow down that pesky aging process.
Skincare Advice: 40
1. Step It Up - If you haven't started using anti-aging products, it is now absolutely essential. First step, grab a new cleanser that will help with the signs of aging. I like exfoliating cleansers like Image Skincare's Ageless Total Facial Cleanser that contain helpful ingredients such as Glycolic Acid, Citric Acid, and Eucalyptus. Lactic acid is also a great ingredient to have in your cleanser. Overall look for something that will help exfoliate, hydrate, and brighten your skin!
2. Avoid a Certain Blast From the Past - Something that many women encounter in their 40's is acne, pimples, and blackheads. This is due mostly in part to the hormonal changes during this age. SO, what products should you be reaching for to combat this? Try products with Salicylic Acid, Alpha Hydroxy Acid, and Retinol. If these are drying out your skin try balancing it out with a Hyaluronic Acid infused product, as these help to hold moisture in your skin.
3. Tone It Out - Of the many clients I come into contact with on a daily basis, one very common complaint is sun spots and uneven skin tone. Whether it be hereditary or due to a lack-of-attention, these problems are treatable with the right products. Some ingredients you are going to want to lean towards are: Hydroquinone, Lactic Acid, Kojic Acid, and Vitamin C. All of these help to decrease hyperpigmentation, and each have exclusive benefits in their own right as well.
4. Its All About the Eyes - Eyes are not only the windows to your soul, but they are often a huge indicator of your age as well. As we age our eyes become less resilient to damage, darkness, fine lines, and wrinkles, which is why it is so important to start using a targeted eye treatment ASAP. I absolutely love products with Vitamin C, such as Glo Therapeutics' 7.5% Vitamin C Eye Gel and Image Skincare's Vital C Hydrating Eye Recovery Gel. Vitamin C will help with dark circles, and will also help with fine lines and wrinkles by locking moisture into the skin.
5. Texture Matters - Another common complaint women have in their 40's is that their are unhappy with their skin texture. Exfoliating products are fabulous for solving this problem, as well as products containing Vitamin A. Personally, my favorite arsenal against uneven texture is Clarisonic's Skin Cleansing System. It is seriously so amazing at cleansing deeply and gently, while also exfoliating the skin, and has been known to help even out the skin.
6. Put Down the Pack - Smoking is one of the best ways to speed up the aging process significantly, and is bad for your health in so many ways. If you are stepping into your 40's, or have been there for a while, it is important to put down the pack now, before it's too late. I have seen too many women who look 50-60 in their 40's. Yes, even if you invest in smart skin care, you will still see faster aging for as long as you are smoking. That is the reality of it. SO, there is no time like the present to quit.
As a skincare professional, I completely understand how scary aging can be. But with the right products and knowledge it is absolutely possible to slow it down
Stay tuned for my Skincare Advice To Get You Through Your 50’s post!