What Should You Be Using In Your Skin Care Routine?
Take my quiz and get personalized recommendations from a
Skin Care Today: What’s In & Why?
The art of skin care can be traced back to 1500 BC when sandpaper was used to exfoliate the skin & smooth scars. From then on, the art of skin care continued to evolve, & continues to evolve today! In this blog post I want to discuss some of the trends that take the front and center spotlight today, and how to achieve those fabulous makeup looks!
- Lipstick: For years the traditional ideal of a ‘lipstick’ was red. Over the years, however, many women decided that they wanted to differentiate themselves. Namely, these women wanted to express themselves through nontraditional lipstick colors. In response to customer requests, pioneer cosmetic companies created a variety of shades from berries to pinks. During the 1980’s, when bright colors were all the rage, crazy eye shadow and lipstick shades came to life. Today, there are thousands of lipstick shades and trending colors that change with every season. These colors represent a woman’s freedom of expression, and fun-filled approach to their makeup.
- Graphic Eyeliner: Eyeliner has been known to make eyes look bigger and brighter. However, how it’s been applied over the years has changed drastically. From the early days of the charcoal pencil, to smudge pots and gel eyeliners, they all achieve a dramatic look. Today, the wing-eye and cat-eye are the most popular looks, and are favorites of many celebrities including the fashion-forward Lauren Conrad. Eyeliner gives your eyes a bold look; an expression of whom you are and how you are feeling can really be seen in your eyeliner style.
- Golden Glows: While historical looks focused on white skin and pink cheeks (to symbolize high-class), as time has worn on different make up looks have become huge hits. One of those more recent makeup trends is: bronzed skin. Bronzer represents a connection to nature and fitness: being outdoors and sun-kissed. The benefit of bronzer is you don’t have to spend any time exposing your skin to harmful UVA/UVB. It is something you can simply sweep on for a healthy, glowing complexion. Another benefit of bronzer is that tan skin can accentuate muscle tone! As the saying goes: if you can’t tone it, tan it! Thankfully, there are so many different bronzer shades to give you a sun-kissed glow year-round. If you have resisted the trend for fear of oopma-loompa orange skin, I can assure you that there are many options that will simply give you a beautiful, natural-looking tan!
- Aquatic Eyes: Blue eye shadows have traditionally been saved for special occasions or Halloween. Today, however, women rock this daring look on a more regular basis! It represents the individual and can deliver an almost mermaid-like look. More cosmetic companies are embracing bright eyeliner and eye shadow shades for everyday use. Don’t be afraid to try it! My favorite is blue eyeliner; it makes my green eyes really stand out.
- False Eyelashes: Who doesn’t want long, thick, and voluminous lashes? With so many mascaras on the market, there’s one for every eyelash type. Beyond mascara, there are so many more eyelash products on the market today that can help you achieve the lashes of your dreams. From serums, to false eyelashes, eyelash curlers, to even eyelash extensions. If you want a false-lash look, there is definitely a product out there that can help you achieve it. I am personally a huge fan of Divaderme Lash Extender for instant gratification, and NeuLash for luscious, long-term results!
- Full Brows: Bold brows have been making a serious statement on some of the most popular high-fashion catwalks. They frame your face, giving you a confidant and youthful look. And the best part? Rocking bold brows is safe to do at any age! The blow eyebrow trend has created a huge market for brow-bolding products, including: pencils, shades, gels, tints, and more to help everyone achieve this look. To start, I recommend growing your brows out and seeing a licensed esthetician to shape them properly. After this you can take to the trend at home, using a brow shadow or pencil to fill your brows for a gorgeous everyday look.
- Bare Faced Beauty: “How to Achieve the ‘No-Make-up Make-up’ look” has been a huge trending topic on the Internet! This stems from the idea that we should embrace our natural beauty and not have to hide behind foundations and concealers to feel beautiful. This is a trend I truly support. Keeping your make up look simple does wonders for your skin, as well as your confidence! There are so many great mineral make up products that are lightweight, yet still provide adequate coverage on your skin without clogging your pores or causing irritation. Some of my favorite mineral makeup products include Glo Minerals Pressed Base, La Bella Donna Baci Baci Moisturizing Lip Sheer, Youngblood Eye Illuminating Duo, and Emani Organic Soy Infused Mascara.
- White Eyeliner: White liner serves so many purposes, and is amazing for enhancing your eyes! While dark, smudgy eyeliner has been a huge hit; white eyeliner is starting to have a spotlight of its own! It makes your eyes sparkle by making them appear brighter. Lining your waterline will make the whites of your eyes appear whiter, which signifies good health! It also helps with dark spots helping you look well rested. This has been a trick of mine for years, I love to apply white eyeliner or a highlighter to the inner and out corners of my eye to open and brighten what I like to call ‘my hard-working-mommy tired eyes’.