What Should You Be Using In Your Skin Care Routine?
Take my quiz and get personalized recommendations from a
Long Lashes: Latisse Targets A Younger Market
Some of my long-time readers can probably remember the article that I wrote about Brooke Shields being replaced as the face of Latisse, a well-known lash-lengthening product that hit markets back in 2009. Newer readers, let me be clear that I am not usually into the “celebrity gossip” thing, but given the subject, I just couldn’t resist. After all, its Brooke Shields, and I love her! So naturally, I was shocked and wanted to share.
Why the need to replace, you ask? To target a younger demographic! The average client age-range under Brooke was 30-60. So, would a younger face really help to push the product onto a younger audience?
Lets rewind here a bit and talk about what Latisse is. Making is debut in 2009; this Allergan product made serious waves for its fabulous lash-lengthening effects. Finally, a product that would help one grow their own natural lashes. Something that I myself had dreamed of as a teenager, finally come to life and on the market. This new cosmetic hit was (and remains) only available by prescription, which begs the question: is it safe?
While Latisse is FDA approved, there is a warning that the product may darken the skin around the eye and possibly the Iris as well. Now, I don’t know about you, but if my actual eyes are at risk, I am a little bit nervous. Thankfully, those side effects only occurred in 2.9% of patients, many of whom were also taking medication to treat glaucoma. However, side effects are side effects, and one must always be mindful and prepared.
In the end, Shields was replaced by younger, light-eyed actresses and models such as Claire Danes (32), Sarah Mutch (26), and model Mekenna Bree. I have yet to obtain news as to whether or not this helped the product appeal more to younger audiences.
I can only speculate as to why the main market for Latisse was between the ages of 30-60. Here are some of my ideas:
- Prescription Required: A prescription generally requires a visit to the doc first, and the truth is that a majority of people heading in for cosmetic work are between the ages of 30-60.
- Price Point: As a skincare professional, I can honestly advocate that most of the time you get what you pay for. So if you want a quality product, you usually have to pay more. However, there are many younger people that simply do not have the funds to pay for longer lashes.
- No Need: I know plenty of young women who would love longer lashes, but the truth is they usually don’t need it. Our lashes are in their prime during our younger years. Perhaps younger people are simply satisfied with their lash look!
My Favorite Latisse Alternatives
While I cannot deny the fact that Latisse is an absolutely fantastic product, I can say that I have come across some products that I find to be just as effective - and easily obtained without a prescription. Are you ready for them?
- LiLash Eyelash Growth Serum ($140)– This is by far my favorite lash-lengthening product on today’s market. You generally see results in 4-6 weeks with daily use. I didn’t start seeing a real difference until week four, and had a very dramatic change by week six, which was pretty amazing in my opinion. I also really liked that this product doubled as eyeliner – just a fun effect that kept me feeling done-up even at bedtime. I have also heard that extension wearers can use this product to reduce lash breakage!
- Jan Marini Lash Eyelash Conditioner ($60) – I was so incredibly excited to test this product out for myself! I love many of Jan Marini’s products, and this product was no exception. I liked that I could use this on both my lashes AND brows. Much like LiLash, it took a few weeks to see results, so be patient!
- Image Skincare Ageless Lashes – Another eyelash enhancing favorite! My lashes not only got longer, but they didn’t fall out as much! This product has been proven effective on people with Alopecia, so I was not at all shocked at how well this worked. I also love that they have both clear and amethyst color options to choose from. Simply fabulous!
Tell me your opinions on lash-lengthening products! Have you tried one? What was your experience? Would the 20-year-old you reach out to products like these?