What Should You Be Using In Your Skin Care Routine?
Take my quiz and get personalized recommendations from a
Ingredients That Help Fight Acne
Lets face it, acne is definitely not a pleasant thing to deal with. But whether your 14 or 54, there are definitely help out there for you! Today I want to share some of the best acne-zapping ingredients, and some of my all time favorite acne-fighting products to get your skin back in tip-top shape. Are you ready for clear skin?
Say Bye Bye to Acne
- Salicylic Acid (BHA) - I absolutely love Salicylic Acid for clearing out the pores. It is a very effective exfoliator, meaning it will help clear out your pores to remove dirt, oil, and dead skin cells. This results in less acne and increased cellular turnover, which happens to be great for fighting aging. This is most effective for people with blackheads. I believe good skincare always starts with you cleanser, and for a good dose of Salicylic Acid I highly recommend Epicuren's Clarify Cleanser.
- Benzoyl Peroxide - Another fabulous exfoliator, Benzoyl Peroxide is the most common ingredient in everyday anti-acne products. It not only penetrates deep to exfoliate, but it also kills the bacteria that causes the acne in the first place. This is great for people who are prone to whiteheads. Something to note is that a little really goes a long way. Using too much Benzoyl Peroxide can leave the skin feeling dry and flaky, which is a big no no! I absolutely love Image Skincare's Clear Cell Medicated Acne Lotion for a double-loaded Bezoyl Peroxide and Salicyic Acid duo.
- Alpha-Hydroxy Acid (AHA) - AHA is a molecule commonly found in milk and fruits, and is most often used in the form of glycolic acid and lactic acid. This product helps fight acne by exfoliating deeply to clear out the pores. It is mostly known for its anti-aging benefits but it works fabulously for acne as well! Something to note when using products containing AHA is that your skin will become more sensitive to the sun, so be sure to use your SPF regularly! I am a huge fan of Clayton Shagal's AHA Exfoliating Mask, both for an anti-aging and anti-acne kick!
- Tea Tree Oil - Some people don't enjoy the smell of tea tree oil, but its benefits are very much worth the strong and distinguishable aroma. This oil actually helps to control oil while killing acne causing bacteria. Please note that you should not use plain essential oils on your face - find a product containing tea tree oil or utilize google to find a good at-home recipe hat incorporates the oil. I recently discovered DermaE's Tea Tree and E Antiseptic Creme and absolutely love it! But be forwarned, the smell is very strong.
- Sulfer - Yet another strong-scented acne fight is sulfer, which works great as a spot treatment to dry out the pimple and help peel the skin. When mixed with other ingredients, sulfer is a great way to regulate oil control. A perfect example of this would be iLike Organic's Sulphuric Whipped Moisturizer.
- Zinc Oxide - This ingredient not only helps fight acne but it protects your skin from the sun! Making it one of my absolute favorites. Zinc Oxide helps to regulate oil, and can fight acne-causing bacteria. If you aren't a fan of sunscreens because they make you break out, perhaps you simply haven't found the right formulation! One of my top recommendations for acne sufferers is Epicuren's X-Treme Cream SPF45, which happens to be a favorite of the beautiful Kate Bosworth.