What Should You Be Using In Your Skin Care Routine?
Take my quiz and get personalized recommendations from a
How to Wear Sunscreen Everyday (& Actually Like It)
Alright, Beauty Mates! Today we are going to talk all about, you guessed it, sunscreen.
We all know about it, we all know we should be using it, but how many of you are actually utilizing your SPF on the daily?
Well, today we are going to talk all about how you can get your daily dose of sunscreen, and actually like it!
Yes, this is totally a thing. So sit back, relax, read on, and enjoy!!
Tip 1: Know Your Options - If you have long avoided sunscreen because of its thick and greasy consistency, it is time to learn about your other options.
From fabulous makeup formulas to lightweight powders, to moisturizers enriched with SPF benefits, there are so many different ways you can be incorporating sunscreen into your routine.
It is simply a matter of finding one that works best for you! Here are some of my personal favorites:
- Moisturizer + SPF: If the thought of applying an SPF over your moisturizer totally gives you the willies, simply reach for a formula that already has it incorporated. This inspired me to create my newest product, the Alana Mitchell Daily Defense Anti-Aging Day Cream! This SPF 30 with 18% zinc oxide protects your complexion while providing anti-aging and moisturizing benefits. I've also been loving Image Skincare's Prevention+ Daily Ultimate Protection Moisturizer, which is formulated with anti-aging plant stem cells and SPF 50 level protection.
- Tinted SPF: Yet another concern people have is the heaviness that comes with applying both a sunscreen and a foundation. With so many options out there (BB Cream, Tinted SPF, Foundation + SPF) there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't be incorporating SPF into your routine. You can find formulas ranging from ultra light coverage, to full coverage, that will look and feel great on your skin!
- Primer + SPF: I absolutely love Primer's with SPF. These have been few and far between on the skin care market, but it seems as though more and more brands are finally coming out with these formulas and I am loving it!! You can slather these on alone to blur imperfections, or you can layer them under your foundation for a beautiful look that lasts throughout the day. Certain brands are even coming out with Tinted Primer + SPF formulas, which I am personally so excited about.
- Powdered SPF: I have been using and loving powdered SPF for years, and am particularly fond of the pre-filled brushes for easy on-the-go application. You can find these in translucent formulas, or colored ones, and they are perfect for even the most skeptical sunscreen users. Simply pull it out of your purse and dust it on for a more "polished" appearance and a layer of SPF protection. I have found that these are also great at mopping up oil on the face throughout the day (though you have to be sure to keep up with cleaning your brush head to ensure it does not get clogged).
- Makeup Setting Spray + SPF: Okay, so the first and only one of these I have heard of is COOLA's Face Makeup Setting Spray SPF 30, but I have to applaud this particular formulation! The spray is meant to lock makeup into place while delivering a layer of sun protection and it smells absolutely fantastic. This is another great product for anyone who wants an easy (and lightweight) SPF option.
- Good, Old Fashion Sunscreen: Yes, products that are designed specifically for sun protection do still exist, and you might just find yourself pleasantly surprised with the options! Just because it does not have any special perks, does not mean you won't enjoy using it! So if it catches your eyes and has rave reviews, don't be afraid to give it a go!
Tip #2: Don't Forget Your Body - Now that we've mastered the many ways you can get your facial SPF on, it is time to talk about body SPF.
Raise your hand if you are guilty of only applying SPF to your body on beach, pool, or outdoor days.
You are definitely not alone, but it is very important to consider just how much exposure your skin has to the sun on a daily basis.
Remember, being indoors does not exempt you from sun exposure, as windows provide a direct route for rays to shine in.
Here are some of my favorite ways to get my body sunscreen on:
- Spray it On: If you want something quick and lightweight, I would opt for a spray on sunscreen. You can grab an unscented formula, or you can go full-fledged fun with something scented. I am constantly switching between COOLA's Citrus Mimosa and Pina Colada Continuous Spray Sunscreens SPF 30 during the Spring and Summer months. Whichever route you decide to go, make sure it is something you would feel comfortable wearing on a daily basis (yes, some spray sunscreens still have a heavy, greasy feel).
- Find a Good Cream Formula: Another option is to find a cream formula that can double as a lotion. For me, this is totally Eminence Organic's Tropical Vanilla Sun Cream SPF 32. It feels and smells so amazing, without being too heavy.
- Don't Forget Your Hands: If you are wearing long sleeves and decide to pass on sunscreen for the day, don't forget to protect your hands with SPF! You can use your favorite body formula, or you can opt for a formula designed specifically for your hands. I recommend getting a small tube for your purse for easy reapplication as needed.
Tip #3: Last but not least, know when to reapply! When it comes to protecting your skin from harmful UV rays, less is most definitely not more.
You want to be sure to reapply your SPF every 2 hours in direct sunlight, or more if you go swimming, sweat, or towel off your previous sunscreen application.
If you are spending your days indoors and out of direct sunlight, one or two reapplications should suffice!
If you do happen to get sunburned, click here to check out the best products to heal your skin.
So, there you have it! Some of my favorite formulas, and many different ways to get your SPF on each and every day! I am curious, do you wear sunscreen on a daily basis? And if so, what are some of your favorite products, tips, and tricks?