What Should You Be Using In Your Skin Care Routine?
Take my quiz and get personalized recommendations from a
Celebrities Who Have Battled Serious Skin Problems
Celebrities are just like us! They have skin problems that make them feel less-than-their-best. Some of the main problems celebrities face are acne breakouts and acne scars, which are amongst the most common skincare complaints I receive as a medical esthetician.
- Alicia Keys deals with her adult acne breakouts by drinking lots of water. She even sets her phone alarm to go off every two hours just to remind her to have a glass.
- Cameron Diaz grew up with cystic acne during her teenage years. She contributed it to her bad eating habits. In her book, “The Body Book”, she said “If you are what you eat, I was a burrito with extra cheese and extra sauce”. Once Cameron changed her diet, her skin cleared up drastically.
- Kerry Washington suffers from acne scars along her cheeks
- Katy Perry used to suffer from severe acne breakouts, "She told Vogue that her skin 'used to be a lot worse than it is,' but she still uses “a lot of coverage” because her acne struggles left her feeling insecure.”
Though celebrities struggle with the same concerns we ‘normal people’ do, they also have access to leading dermatologists, intensive spa days, and the latest and greatest skin care procedures, making it almost unfair. Of course their skin is flawless, they have access to A-list everything!
But this is where I come in! You’d be surprised how easy it is to have great skin. It’s simply all about knowing what products are right for you and your skin care concerns, and sticking to those products in a daily regimen.
Alicia Keys has got it down!
- We should all drink more water! Adding fruit in your water gives it a subtle pop of flavor and is great for your skin! I personally like preparing a pitcher the night before; that way I can always pour myself a glass, even when I’m busy.
For people like Cameron Diaz who struggle with Cystic Acne:
Cystic acne can be tough, because a large part of it is internal imbalance. Some of the culprits include: stress, poor diet, and hormones. My recommendations are:
- A Healthy & Well-Balanced Diet: having a healthy and well-balanced diet works wonders! Cameron is rumored to maintain a healthy diet by avoiding processed, high sugar and salt content foods. Moderation is key!
- See a licensed esthetician and receive a facial once a month: this will help reduce stress and keep your skin under control. A combination of microdermabrasion, high frequency and chemical peels will most likely be needed to treat your skin.
Many people make the big mistake of trying to extract or "pop" cystic acne, which is a big no-no; this will make your cystic acne worse. The golden rule is to let it be. You can use a cold compress with ice to help reduce the swelling and redness, do this for intervals of one minute on and one minute off, then repeat.
Drinking a lot of water can help to flush out infection that can happen in cystic acne.
Don't use too hot of water when washing your face as this can irritate your skin and cause redness.
Wear mineral makeup! This will allow your skin to breath.
Invest in a Clarisonic or Foreo Luna, it really does help to ensure you are thoroughly cleaning your skin!
For people like Kerry Washington who suffer from Acne Scars:
Adopting brightening products into your regimen can make a huge, confidence-boosting difference. I recommend:
- Osmosis Lightening Powder Blend: A combination of amino acids to give the cells the building blocks they need to reduce age-spots, liver spots, and other pigmentation issues while providing a uniform, bright complexion.
- Rhonda Allison Naturale Mega Brightening Serum: This product brightens and evens skin tone through the action of various plant and herb extracts, which work together to naturally remove discoloration and dark spots.
For people like Katy Perry who gets Severe Acne Breakouts:
A good cleanser and moisturizer will help calm the skin. I am a huge fan of:
- Image Skincare Clear Cell Salicylic Cleanser: This product is ideal for big breakouts or very oily skin. It dries up excess oil and acts as a mild exfoliator. Best to use periodically to maintain clear skin, or when there is a breakout.
- Eminence Organics Clear Skin Probiotic Moisturizer: This moisturizer brings clarity to oily, acne-prone skin with powerful probiotics that remove acne-causing dirt, debris, oil and bacteria while balancing the moisture content in the skin.
Even with all of the glamor, makeup artists, high-end products, and treatments available to them, at the end of the day celebrities struggle with the same common skincare issues you and I do! While it’s good to look toward them for inspiration and see how they went about improving their skin, it is important to recognize that their beautiful skin isn’t a result of being perfect, it is in finding the things that work best for them.
Achieving celebrity-level skin is all finding what works best for your skin and your lifestyle! I’ve tried so many products over the years, and continue to enjoy sharing all of the products that I find work best, with you!