What Should You Be Using In Your Skin Care Routine?
Take my quiz and get personalized recommendations from a
10 Must-Do & Easy Changes to Your Skincare this New Year: 2015
Hello 2015! Every New Year brings new hope and goals for us to improve ourselves, and while we typically start off strong (making an extra effort to look and feel our best), as time goes by many of us have a tendency to start slacking off. Let’s not let that happen this year! I’ve narrowed down my top 10 things to easily change in an effort to improve your skin drastically in 2015. Are you ready for it?
10 Habits for Beautiful Skin in the New Year
1. Clean your cell Phone! That little device can get so dirty and germ infested so fast. Think about it; you touch it and place it on your face several times a day, so why not make the extra effort to keep it clean and germ-free? I try not to think about what's on there when I get it back from my son, but it’s nothing a damp disinfectant wipe can’t fix!
- Tip: About once a week, before I go to bed, I take my case off and clean it with hot water and antibacterial soap. This way my case has time to dry before putting it back on in the morning. I also regularly wipe my phone down with antibacterial wipes, or if I am in not at home I run a small amount of hand sanitizer gel around my phone case with my hands.
- Tip: The right Pillow like The “Save My Face!”® Pillowette Eliminates "morning pillow face". This pillow has so many benefits! In terms of product, t his pillow will help night creams and serums stay on your face, improving absorption. The pillow also helps to reduce sinus compression, improving breathing and oxygen flow to the body and skin, and improves neck and back support, which enhances healing after facial surgery and/or treatments. I also highly recommend using a silk pillowcase! It helps to eliminate facial lines and helps to keep your skin clean and your hair smooth, especially if you don’t wash and style your hair every day like me.
3. Step up your spa treatment! Many women enjoy getting facials but opt to get a peel “next time”! However, if you want to see noticeable results, fast, it is important to beef up you’re skincare routine every once in a while, both at the spa and/or at home! What’s that saying “insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result”? The same goes for your skin care routine. If you get a facial without the drastic results you were looking for, perhaps it is time to switch it up and add something new!
- Tip: I, as well as other spas, offer a first time promotion or special for new clients or new services. If you're a local to my spa, Spa Alana, I offer a monthly membership, which includes a customized facial treatment for $65 a month, this way you can change your treatment routine at any time and get your skin care goals accomplished.
4. Wear Sunscreen! I cannot stress this enough! When it comes to skincare, you are either preventing or correcting your skincare concerns. SPF is all about preventing, which covers half your skincare battle. Clients are always asking me how they can improve their skin, and I always tell them to wear sunscreen daily protect their skin. While the sun may feel great, it is damaging to the skin. It causes fine lines, wrinkles, and dark spots to appear, or works to worsen any that you may already be trying to stave off. Protecting your skin is a key preventative tool for softer, smoother, younger-looking skin. SPF 20-30 is ideal for daily use, just be sure to reapply every hour while in the sun, and every two hours when in indirect sunlight.
- Tip: Keep a sunscreen in your purse at all times! You can also keep a tube in your car’s glove compartment during cool months. This will help you remember to reapply anytime you are out and about. A great SPF can come in many different forms, my two favorites being powdered formulas and tinted sunscreens. A mineral powder SPF with a brush attached is not messy and is super easy to apply, oily skin types loves this option! It is also great for dusting over your makeup without ruining your makeup look or causing excess oil. Then there is my absolute favorite: tinted sunscreen. I have combination skin, and am a busy working mom and in my 30’s. I need to go from the park to a work meeting and my tinted sunscreen with a little concealer gets the job done right!
5. Stop buying drugstore and department store brands! You may be surprised when you sit down and do the math, but you can spend the same amount and buy a higher quality product. While an $8 bottle of anti-aging serum may seem alluring, you may be using extra in an effort to see results, or you may not be seeing results at all! Investing in a high-quality product will have you using less to see far more dramatic results. It is important to note that not all expensive products will be effective, so do your research when shopping. My estheticians and I test each and every product before it hits the shelf to ensure that we are selling only the best and most effective products!
- Tip: I love what my fabulous Dallas friend says “You wear your hair and face every day, so you better be using good skin and hair care!”
6. Bring the spa into your home! I believe in regular spa treatments with your esthetician, but I also believe in utilizing all of wonderful technology that is available in the skincare world. From deep cleansing brushes, to anti-aging lasers, micro current technology, and more, there are so many amazing products that can deliver spa-strength results in the comfort of your home.
- Hair Removal: Tria’s Hair Removal Laser is one of my favorite tools for getting rid of unwated hair permanently! I love this product for so many reasons. First, it works. Second, I can use it in the comfort of my own home. Lastly, the investment totally trumps the repeated costly visits to the doctors office for the same treatment!
- Skin Cleansing: I have been a long time Clarisonic user for cleansing my face, and discovered yet another fabulous skin cleansing device this year: Foreo. Both brands are wonderful, effective, and convenient.
- Microdermabrasion: I have been a long time fan on the PMD Personal Microderm device for at-home microdermabrasion, and love that they office multiple different tips for different skin types and concerns.
- Anti Aging: Don’t even get me started on the plethora of anti-aging facial devices on the market today! From NuFace, to Tria’s Age Defying Laser, to ReFa and more, there is definitely something for everyone out there. These technologies are seriously amazing and have revolutionized the skincare industry.
7. Clean Your Makeup Brushes! We apply makeup everyday using the same brushes, often times over blemishes. As with anything, bacteria and germs can and will build up. It is important to clean your makeup brushes at least once a week to prevent bacteria, dirt, and oil from building up, as these things can clog your pores or even cause irritation. Clean makeup brushes also ensure a smoother makeup application.
- Tip: Make it a point to clean your brushes every week. I clean mine when I clean my bathroom or wash my sheets. Keeping your brush cleaning solution visible or marking it down on your calendar are also great ways to keep you on your brush-cleaning game.
8. Always remove your makeup, every night! This is yet another beauty habit I cannot stress enough, because your skin recharges while you sleep. By washing off your makeup and applying a rich moisturizer, you’re taking a great step in helping your skin to recover. Letting your skin breath and removing all the bacteria that builds up throughout the day is a sure way to build healthier skin that looks and feels amazing.
- Tip: If you struggle with taking off your makeup, try showering before bed so you have to wash your face, or keep makeup remover wipes by your bedside. If makeup removing wipes are the best you can do, its still way better than sleeping with make up on!
9. You are using too much product! If you are seeing beautiful results, it may be tempting to up your product usage to so more beautiful results, right? Wrong! There is such a thing as “too much of a good thing,” and it can actually be damaging to your skin. Follow directions, and if you feel temped to up your usage, consult one of my estheticians or myself first!
- Tip: Always read the directions! If a product is designed for once a week use, follow this as your guideline. If a product does not specify, ask. I have seen so many clients come in with unhappy skin because over-use caused irritation. Directions exist for a reason.
10. Embrace Exfoliation! Many people tend to skip this crucial step, sticking only to using a basic cleanser and moisturizer. I am a huge advocate of keeping things simple, but insist on the benefits of exfoliating. It helps to cleanse deeper than your basic cleanser, removing dead skin and debris and facilitating cellular turnover. Another wonderful result of exfoliation is deeper product penetration, meaning your moisturizers and serums will absorb better for more effective results!
- Tip: Turn your exfoliating routine into a relaxing experience! I use a weekly exfoliating facial mask and use that time to just enjoy the scent of the product and relax for the 30 minutes that it is on my face.