Memorial Day is notorious for being celebrated with beach days, BBQ’s, and getting together with family and friends! Pair this with the fact that May is Melanoma Awareness month, and I think it’s the perfect time to talk about my favorite ways to practice safe sun. Trust me, it is totally possible to protect yourself from the sun in a way that is not greasy or too time consuming, so tune in and take note of these fabulous ways to get your daily dose of SPF [easily].
Safe Sun – Enjoy
1. Grab a Shot Glass – If you are applying sunscreen to your body, you should be applying about a shot glass-sized amount. Yup, you didn’t see that one coming, did you? Many people only slather on a thin layer, thinking that would be enough. Find a sunscreen you really like, fill your shot glass, get a reference for how much that is, and layer it on if you have to! Be sure to do this 15-25 minutes before sun exposure for optimal protection. My favorite cream sunscreen is Eminence Organic’s Tropical Vanilla Sun Cream SPF 32, which is rumored to be a favorite of the beautiful Jessica Biel.
2. Spray It On – Not a fan of cream sunscreen? Sprays can be a wonderful option. I am in love with my COOLA Sport Pina Colada Spray Sunscreen SPF 30. This product feels great, is easy to use [both at-home and on the go], and smells ah-maze-ing. If you like pina coladas, and getting caught in the rain, you will love this water resistant formula.
3. Don’t Rely on SPF Makeup Alone – I cannot stress this enough, just because your foundation says SPF 20, does not mean you should trust that and ditch any additional protection. I have two fun ways to up your SPF makeup game, without messing up your makeup routine. First, reach for a primer with SPF! Yes, these do exist. I am a huge fan of Colorescience’s Skin Mattifying Primer SPF 20, which provides a beautiful base, salicylic acid, and SPF protection all-in-one. If primers aren’t your thing, try COOLA’s NEW SPF 30 Makeup Setting Spray. I am loving this product so much! I am a fan of setting sprays in general, so to find one with SPF [30 none-the-less] was beyond exiting for me. This product delivers SPF in a matte finish that will keep your makeup looking fresh all day.
4. Try Powdered SPF – If there is one excuse I hear the most for people not wearing SPF, it’s the fact that it’s greasy to reapply, or will ruin their makeup. So, if this sounds like you, it’s time to look into powdered SPFs. My three favorites include: Colorescience Sunforgettable Mineral Sunscreen Brush SPF 50 Multipack [note, they do sell these individually, but trust me when I say you will love it enough to never want to be without it], Eminence Organics Sun Defense Minerals, and La Bella Donna Minerals On-The-Go. All three of these products work similarly by providing light coverage and SPF in a powdered form. For more coverage, lean towards the La Bella Donna option. These aren’t just non-greasy, they are easy to apply, easy to carry with you, and will actually help to mop up oil and freshen up your skin. Basically, it protects your skin while making it look better throughout the day. No more excuses!
5. Find Your Facial Sunscreen – When it comes to finding a great facial SPF, it can take some trial and error. I have found Epicuren’s Zinc Oxide Perfecting Sunscreen SPF 27 to be pretty friendly to all skin types, but there are options for people who lean more oily or dry as well. Oily-skinned gals [or guys], I highly recommend reaching for Glo Therapeutics Oil Free SPF 40+, Image Skincare Prevention+ Daily Matte Moisturizer SPF 32 , or Dermalogica’s Oil Free Matte SPF 30. I have tried and loved all three of these during my oiliest seasons, so I feel confident saying you can trust these in yours. Dry-skinned users, I have heard wonderful things about Obagi’s Obagi360 HydraFactor Broad Spectrum SPF 30. If you prefer something tinted, try COOLA’s Mineral Face Tint SPF 20 Rose Essence Sunblock. I love the way this one looks, feels, and smells.
6. You Missed a Spot – There are many places people neglect putting SPF. The three I find most common include: lips, eyes, and hands. There are tons of lip products with SPF, and I personally think everyone should carry at least one SPF-infused lip balm with them at all times. I have recently been hooked on June Jacobs Lip Renewal SPF 50. Yes, you read right. SPF 50 for your lips! As for your eyes, you can dust over your peepers with your powdered SPF brushes, but I would NOT recommend slathering typical sunscreens or sprays on them. Your eyes, and eye area, are extremely sensitive so you need to be cautious. Investing in a hat and good pair of glasses that have total UV protection is also a great way to keep your eyes away from harmful UV damage. As for your hands – you have to be very diligent about reapplication!
Essential Sun Protection Tips
- Make SPF a Part of Your Daily Routine – I know you already have your set routine, but trust me, your future self will thank you for taking precautions now. If you want to avoid skin cancer and prevent aging, sunscreen is the answer.
- Know When to Reapply – You are going to want to reapply your sunscreen every two hours when you are not in direct sunlight, and every one hour when you are in direct sunlight. I know this may seem like a lot, but if you carry your SPF brush and spray around, it can be as easy as 1-2-3.
- Take Cover – If shade is an option, take it. This can be under an awning or umbrella, or under your cute wide-brimmed hat, sunglasses, or light long sleeve shirt.
- Know When the Sun is Strongest – You are going to experience those most sun damage between the hours of 10 AM and 3 PM. This is because this is when the sun is the strongest. Avoid being in direct sunlight for too long during these hours, or be very diligent about your reapplication.
- Know What’s Normal, and What Isn’t – I cannot tell you how important it is for you to know and look out for the signs of skin cancer. Skin cancer is most easily treated when caught early, so you will want to know it could potentially look like. Cancer.org has a great, in-depth guide on what to look out for.