This month marks the tenth year of Botox! For a decade, millions of men and women have enjoyed the instant wrinkle fighting power of localized injections. My friends and clients constantly ask me about the treatment so I decided to “celebrate” with an All Botox Blog!
What is Botox?
Botox treatments use a small amount of diluted botulinum toxin that enables controlled weakening of muscles. Botox works to relax the contraction of muscles by blocking nerve impulses. The result is muscles that can no longer contract, and so the wrinkles relax and soften.
What does Botox treat?
Most people seek out injections to get rid of fine lines and wrinkles. Particularly in between the brows and around the mouth. Botox can also treat severe cramping, excessive sweating and migraines! Recently, Oprah‘s Dr. Oz had Dr. Arthur Perry on the show to talk about Botox and recieve injections live on the show! According to Dr. Perry:
- Botox is the most popular procedure in cosmetic surgery today.
- Botox should only be administered by a highly trained physician and is available only by prescription
- Results appear two to three weeks after a patient receives Botox injections. The patient should return to his or her doctor for a follow-up visit, at which point they may receive additional injections to fine-tune the appearance.
- Some side effects following a Botox injection may include temporary eyelid droop, tenderness, swelling, redness and/or bleeding/bruising, Dr. Perry says.
- Botox injections last between two to six months. A typical repeat patient will receive three treatments per year.
- The longer you receive Botox injections, the longer the results last.
- Scientists aren’t sure why, but 7 percent of people do not respond to Botox at all.
Is it Right For You?
This is a question only you can answer. My rule of thumb is to always start with the least invasive treatments first. If you are just beginning to worry about wrinkles, I’d start with a mild product like Rhonda Allison Pumpkin E Serum ($15). The antioxidant and anti-aging elements found in Pumpkin naturally and gently nourish skin. For more mature skin, I recommend looking into the Image SkinCare Ageless Regimen or Clayton Shagal Collagen ($65) and Elastin ($65).
Alternatives to Botox
If you are looking for a wrinkle filler Frownies Facial Pads ($16.75) form a splint holding the visible layer of skin smooth and flat overnight while the skin cells reposition themselves supporting smooth skin.
You might be pleasantly surprised by the young skin revealed after microdermabrasion! This deep exfoliating facial preformed by a professional removes dead skin and smooths fine lines.
As the birthdays keep rolling in so do the signs of aging! Don’t let this get you down- there are tons of things you can do to you can still feel beautiful and looking your absolute best! Click here for my Wrinke Myths blog. Whenever seeking out serious treatments- do your research and seek out recommended professionals! Safety first!